Thursday, July 22, 2010

Work in Progress: Fantasy Supplement Simulacrum


The working title for this document is PRIMORDIAL ODD. I started working on it, as the picture indicates, over two years ago, but now am finally primed to finish it.

Right now it's still written as if the user will be accessing the original Chainmail rules, but that'll change soon---I'm working on redoing the appropriate tables.

My goal with this is not to create a clone, per se, but instead a game heavily inspired by Chainmail's Fantasy Supplement. Some of the data and progressions in the combat tables will be modified, and I've thrown in a couple of things that have nothing to do with the original (like the characters' Stories, and Grit), but seem to fit the spirit of the whole.

I'm happy to field comments, questions, hate-mail, etc., either here or here.

6 comments:

  1. With no negative vibes intended at all, this reminds me of the attempts to recreate "proto-indo-european" languages by taking back bearings from what exists now. In short, Excellent stuff !

    I've run chainmail man to man scenarios , now and in the distant past(and even the original WRG edition with their fantasy suppliment); I've always felt that there was a good FRP game in there somewhere between simple chainmail and not so simple AD&D.

    Keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, this sounds very cool! Looking forward to the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Doc: That's not at all a bad analogy--trying to reconstruct what might have been there from what now exists.

    Thanks for the encouragement, both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to help !

    Now....get back to work !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah! Indeed, and I've been working, even on vacation!

    I've finished all three main combat tables, with some interpretations to which I'll be interested to see reactions.

    Should have a new draft up in the next couple of days...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting closer. All tables are done. Just need to type them up.

    ReplyDelete